In celebration of Back to the Future Day, we take a look back at what was happening in 1985.
- Ronald Reagan is sworn in for a second term as U.S. President.
- In Hollywood, California, the charity single “We Are the World” is recorded by USA for Africa.
- William J. Schroeder becomes the first artificial heart patient to leave the hospital.
- The FDA approves a blood test for AIDS, used since then to screen all blood donations in the United States.
- Mikhail Gorbachev becomes the General Secretary of the Soviet Communist Party and de facto leader of the Soviet Union.
- Coca-Cola changes its formula and releases New Coke. (The response is overwhelmingly negative, and the original formula is back on the market in less than 3 months.)
- Live Aid pop concerts in Philadelphia and London on July 13 raise over £50 million for famine relief in Ethiopia.
- The Nintendo Entertainment System is released in the U.S. It was first released in Japan in 1983.
- Microsoft Corporation releases the first version of Windows, Windows 1.0.
- The first .com domain name, symbolics.com, is registered by the Symbolics corporation.
- Compact Discs are introduced to American Consumers.
- British Scientists discover a hole in the Earth’s ozone layer.
- The first Blockbuster video-rental store opens in Dallas, TX
Also playing on the radio in 1985:
- Rock Me Amadeus – Falco
- Everybody Wants to Rule the World – Tears for Fears
- One Night in Bangkok – Murray Head
- Careless Whisper – Wham!
- Like A Virgin – Madonna
- I Want to Know What Love Is – Foreigner
- Shout – Tears for Fears
- Heat Is On – Glenn Frey
- Miami Vice Theme – Jan Hammer
- Power of Love – Huey Lewis & the News
- Can’t Fight This Feeling – REO Speedwagon
- St. Elmo’s Fire (Man in Motion) – John Parr
- Axl F (Theme to Beverly Hills Cop) – Harold Faltermeyer
Popular films: The Breakfast Club, The Goonies, The Color Purple, and Rocky IV
Popular TV Shows: The Cosby Show, Family Ties, 60 Minutes, Cheers and Dallas
Academy Award for Best Picture: Amadeus
Grammy for Record of the Year/Song of the Year: “What’s Love Got to Do With It”
Economy in 1985:
- Average cost of new house: $89,330
- Average annual income: $22,100
- Average monthly rent: $375
- Average new car: $9,005
- Gas: $1.09 per gallon
- Movie ticket: $2.75
- U.S. postage stamp: 22 cents
- Eggs: $0.80/dozen
- Milk: $2.26 per gallon
- Population: 237,923,795
- Life expectancy: 74.7 years
- Dow-Jones: High – 1,553; Low – 1,184
Welcome to the Future, Marty McFly!