We’re coming up on the 4th of July. Hooray for a day off with parties, good food and good times!
Of course, we should never forget why we are actually blessed with this holiday. So we celebrate the birthplace of our nation with cheer, American flags, ceremonies and (of course) fireworks.
Unfortunately, this is also the time of year when the emergency department sees a bit of an uptick in the number of abrasions, burns and more serious injuries stemming from these brightly burning festive sticks of fire. So, this is why we urge you to please, please leave the fireworks to the professionals!
In 2017, 67 percent of the estimated annual fireworks-related, emergency department-treated injuries occurred between June 16 and July 16. Almost three quarters happened in one month!
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), eight people died and more than 12,900 were injured badly enough to require medical treatment after fireworks-related incidents in 2017. 2017 saw the highest number of fireworks-related injuries in at least 15 years. Of those injuries, 8,700 were treated during that one month period surrounding the 4th of July. And if that wasn’t bad enough, 36 percent of those injured were children under the age of 15.
2017 saw the highest number of fireworks-related injuries in at least 15 years.
Many people think sparklers are the perfect way for a child to be part of a 4th of July celebration. They can wave them around, make swirls and letters and everyone has a good time.
Except when they don’t.
Sparklers can burn anywhere from 1,000 to 2,000 degrees—hot enough to melt some metals. Sparklers can quickly ignite clothing, and many children have received severe burns from dropping sparklers on their feet.
The CPSC reports that approximately 16 percent of all consumer fireworks injuries are caused by sparklers burning hands and legs. Young children account for the majority of sparkler injuries.
As disappointed as they may be, do not let children younger than 12 hold a sparkler. They often lack the physical coordination to handle sparklers safely and likely will not know what to do in an emergency. Close supervision of older children is necessary.
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
CPSC Fireworks Safety Video
Pets and Fireworks
No, we’re not going to tell you to not let your pet play with fireworks. We sincerely hope you already know that is a very, very bad idea! And if not, I guess this serves as us telling you.
It is important though to keep pets safe over the 4th of July holiday. And this does include keeping them away from fireworks but not just because of injury.
July 5 is the busiest day of the year for pet shelters. This is because so many animals become anxious and frightened by the loud noises of fireworks and escape their yards, homes and leashes.
We recommend you leave your pets at home when attending any celebration during the holiday. And even at home, you should take precautions even if your pet has never ran away or escaped before.
And it’s not just dogs. Many people have barbecues and parties for the holiday. This means a lot of people going in and out of the house, including children, leaving the door open long enough for a quick escape.
So it’s probably best to make sure your pet is in a secure inside room with plenty of food and water and someplace to tuck into when the loud noises start.
It’s also a time when a lot of different foods are left out and are sometimes dropped on the floor. So there is a greater chance of your pet getting hold of a food that may not be very good for him. Also the ASPCA notes, that citronella-based repellents, oils, candles and insect coils are irritating toxins to pets.
The American Veterinary Medical Association and ASPCA recommend that you consider microchipping your pet, even if he spends all his time indoors. And you should be sure the information on the chip is kept up to date with your current phone and address or Veterinarian information.
We want this to be an enjoyable, festive and safe holiday for you, and your family (including your pets). So please #CelebrateSafely and Happy 4th of July!
Sources: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, American Veterinary Medical Association.