The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that approximately 16 percent of all consumer fireworks injuries are caused by sparklers burning hands and legs. Young children account for the majority of sparkler injuries. Little arms are too short to hold sparklers, which can heat up to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.
As disappointed as they may be, do not let children younger than 12 hold a sparkler. They often lack the physical coordination to handle sparklers safely and likely will not know what to do in an emergency. Let your young children use glow sticks instead. They can be just as fun but they don’t burn at a temperature hot enough to melt glass. Close supervision of older children is necessary.
Have fun using sparklers safely by following these tips:
- Never hand a lighted sparkler to another person. Give them an unlit sparkler and then light it. If a youth is holding the sparkler, have an adult light it. Only light one sparkler at a time and hold one sparkler at a time.
- Those using sparklers should stand at least six feet away from each other. Never use a sparkler when sitting down or holding a child.
- Be aware that sparks can ignite clothing, so avoid loose fitting clothes that could catch fire.
- The sparkler wire stays hot long after the flame has burned out, so drop the used sparklers directly in a bucket of water.